Bauba has committed to being a contributor to the 2030 Social Development Goals (SDGs) and has identified seven SDGs as our main long-term priorities:
- Ensure healthy lives and promote well-being for all at all ages
Our Mine Health and Safety strategy aims to ensure Bauba has a healthy workforce free of occupational and lifestyle diseases.
- Ensure availability and sustainable management of water and sanitation for all available
Bauba has provided water to surrounding communities through our borehole project. In total, 12 boreholes have been sunk and fitted with pumps and tanks. On a monthly basis, Bauba pays for the electricity of these boreholes to pump the water into the tanks.
- Promote, inclusive and sustainable economic growth, full and productive employment and decent work for all
Bauba prioritises the employment of local community members first.
- Conserve and sustainably use the oceans, seas and marine resources for sustainable development
Bauba has implemented a plan to reduce water consumption per tonne produced. Waste is sorted for recycling to reduce impact on landfills and oceans.
- Protect, restore and promote sustainable use of terrestrial ecosystems, sustainably managed forests, combat desertification, halt and reverse land degradation and halt biodiversity loss
Bauba performs roll-over mining, ensuring rehabilitation takes place concurrently with mining footprint. Bauba is planting trees at the local schools and surrounding areas as part of an environmental awareness campaign.
- Promote peaceful and inclusive societies for sustainable development, provide access to justice for all and build effective, accountable and inclusive institutions at all levels
Bauba supports sustainable development as a member of the Minerals Council of South Africa.
- Strengthen the means of implementation and revitalise the Global Partnership for Sustainable Development
Bauba focuses on a sustainable future for all its stakeholders.